Fwd: GNSO Review - Non-Commercial Users Constituency

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 29 17:46:07 CEST 2006

Robin and Mawaki:
I don't agree that it is such a great thing to be funded by ICANN, especially at ALAC levels. ALAC has a real problem with co-optation and the creation of a self-perpetuating clique of insiders who compete for these subsidies. For all our difficulties, at least we know, under the current system, that people who run for NCUC offices are dedicated to our interests and causes. Starting throwing 6-figure sums at it and that can change really fast. On the whole it is better to rely on external forms of support, such as the PIR grant and the Brazilian foundation etc. You should all be politically astute enough to know that who pays the piper calls the tune.

>>> Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at YAHOO.COM> 3/28/2006 7:15 PM >>>
I raised a similar question early this month with Bruce who said that
he intends to discuss this issue with the Board in Wellington in
regard to supporting all GNSO Councillors participation in ICANN
meetings. But of course, that would be even better if NCUC could
directly get enough support from ICANN just as ALAC now...

Mawaki