Our statement on gTLD

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Mon Jan 30 16:08:13 CET 2006

Friends, my suggestions:

- No reference to the 2003 statement. Things change, and I think the new
proposal contradicts the 2003 one (like 5 for non-profits, 25 for
moneymakers etc). I we are suggesting things will be decided "by
lottery", everyone (bearing or not the $ mark on their foreheads) will
be qualified to dispute any domain. We should not rule out repetitions
of the .org case, which is money-making but run by a non-profit for
(supposedly) non-profit purposes.

- Let us drop expressions such as "market-driven" and so on. We should
not "expressly support a market-driven approach" as we say in the
statement (geezzz, we are the NCUC, aren't we?) -- again, it contradicts
our own proposal of a process which is open to all, for profit or
otherwise. Why not just say "expressly support an open, transparent and
neutral approach", which is what we actually explain in the proposal?

- Since there is no reference to any possibility of an organized schema
to discuss proposals for a solid set of criteria on
creation/delegation/redeleg of TLDs (it seems NCUC wants to just submit
its own and not even suggest the possibility of creating a WG for it), I
would like to propose that I abstain from the proposal. As chair, I am a
facilitator/moderator but also representa a member organization, and not
necessarily have to agree to any statement, but must carry out the
procedures in any case.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

--