kathryn as candidate!

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Tue Sep 13 13:51:31 CEST 2005

MIlton and all, I agree this has been the procedure. However, I think
there are proposals for a more dynamic presence of NCUC (which worries
eventual candidates even more :)) -- this is not a criticism of the
past/current NCUC governance, just a recognition that, as governance
becomes more of a worldwide concern because of the WSIS process, we
should as well view our presence in this new light.

This might demand more presence in terms of formal representation.
However, I agree with you we have plenty of chairs and vice-chairs in
potential (all members!), and we can devise a way to make sure we
fulfill eventual needs when the chair might not be able to cover.

On a sad note, I've just learned Kathy cannot be a candidate, as she
currently holds no formal institutional representation.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>>I am worried about the workload, particularly because of the workload

>>already have. While I am honored to accept the indication, I would
>>

>like
>

>>to suggest that, whoever is elected, we think about having a
>>

>vice-chair.
>
>Carlos:
>A vice-chair doesn't exist in our charter and should not be necessary
>anyway. Under our structure, you have two sources of assistance. One is
>the Executive Committee; you can think of each one of them as a regional
>"vice chair." The other is the Secretary-Treasurer (see below). Plus any
>member can help you to do things if you can convince them to help!
>

>>This would improve our chances to always have
>>effective coordination/moderation at all times, even
>>if the person chosen to be chair has more time available.
>>

>With "two Chairs" often it doesn't work well: one person assumes that
>the other will take responsibility and some things fall between them. It
>is best to have responsibility in clear hands. Unless the two people are
>very closely connected and used to working together, such arrangements
>break down. The trick is to get people to help you; creating a new title
>will not necessarily do that.
>

>>In addition, it is good to have two minds
>>to regularly share opinions on coordination issues.
>>

>Many minds can and will be involved: Chair, EC, Council members,
>members.
>

>>So far we have counted
>>on the "Milton team" in Syracuse for some administrative tasks,
>>[snip] I wonder if the currently existing account
>>in the USA could be maintained when we have a new chair?
>>

>Yes. The best way to do that is for the Executive Committee to appoint
>me as Secretary-Treasurer. I would be willing to do that. I could
>maintain the account and (until a replacement was made) the existing web
>site. Only difference would be that my role would be completely passive
>- I would not do anything unless told to by Chair and/or EC when a vote
>is required.

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br