kathryn as candidate!

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Sep 12 18:22:04 CEST 2005

>>> Carlos Afonso <ca at RITS.ORG.BR> 09/12/05 9:53 AM >>>
>I am worried about the workload, particularly because of the workload
>already have. While I am honored to accept the indication, I would
like
>to suggest that, whoever is elected, we think about having a
vice-chair.

Carlos:
A vice-chair doesn't exist in our charter and should not be necessary
anyway. Under our structure, you have two sources of assistance. One is
the Executive Committee; you can think of each one of them as a regional
"vice chair." The other is the Secretary-Treasurer (see below). Plus any
member can help you to do things if you can convince them to help!

>This would improve our chances to always have
>effective coordination/moderation at all times, even
>if the person chosen to be chair has more time available.

With "two Chairs" often it doesn't work well: one person assumes that
the other will take responsibility and some things fall between them. It
is best to have responsibility in clear hands. Unless the two people are
very closely connected and used to working together, such arrangements
break down. The trick is to get people to help you; creating a new title
will not necessarily do that.

>In addition, it is good to have two minds
>to regularly share opinions on coordination issues.

Many minds can and will be involved: Chair, EC, Council members,
members.

>So far we have counted
>on the "Milton team" in Syracuse for some administrative tasks,
>[snip] I wonder if the currently existing account
>in the USA could be maintained when we have a new chair?

Yes. The best way to do that is for the Executive Committee to appoint
me as Secretary-Treasurer. I would be willing to do that. I could
maintain the account and (until a replacement was made) the existing web
site. Only difference would be that my role would be completely passive
- I would not do anything unless told to by Chair and/or EC when a vote
is required.