Fwd: Joint statement on internationalized TLDs (IDNs)

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 13 12:51:57 CEST 2005

This is the text of the statement that has been agreed on by NCUC Chair,
Adam and ALAC's members. Please comment if you like

>>> "Vittorio Bertola" <vb at bertola.eu.org> 07/13/05 5:53 AM >>>
====
We recommend that processes for the implementation of ASCII gTLDs and
IDN gTLDs should be separated.

Addition of ASCII gTLDS is a known and straight-forward process and is
ready for implementation of predictable, transparent, and objective
procedures.

IDN gTLDs raise some new technical problems and policy concerns. In
resolving these issues we strongly suggest that local language
communities be encouraged and supported to take a central role in
developing policy for the implementation of IDNs.

We stress that the expeditious implementation of both ASCII and IDN
gTLDs is equally important. A rapid and parallel process for
implementation of both is needed. The separation of processes must not
become a reason for delaying the implementation of either ASCII or IDN
gTLDs.