Discussion of ICANN strategic plan

Harold Feld hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG
Thu Jan 27 18:17:17 CET 2005

I am sensitive to the problem of mission creep.  But part of ICANN's
mission is to coordinate technical stability.  It seems to me that
encouraging and facilitating conferences on such matters falls within
ICANN's general purview and fosters coordination rather than top-down
management.

I am also sensitive to the fact that, in gross political terms, this is an
outreach bribe and an effort by ICANN to build a support among a
traditionally hostile constituency.

If we dislike this approach, I urge us to suggest an alternative.  It is
possible for ICANN to still encourage such conferences without direct
expenditures of money.

Harold