Discussion of ICANN strategic plan

Erick Iriarte Ahon faia at AMAUTA.RCP.NET.PE
Wed Jan 26 18:51:30 CET 2005

Hi!

> >1. in the past ISOC (and PIR now), support workshops like WALC in
>Latin
> >America.
>
>PIR and ISOC have no "taxing authority" like ICANN and are independent,
>voluntary organizations. I don't think this is a relevant argument.

It's a argument to say another organizations support this kind of thing is
development countries, why not ICANN?

> >2. ICANN support the WGIG
>
>Yes, this is quite relevant, it is the same issue: building political
>support for itself by supporting other efforts. But its support of WGIG
>was controversial and could be questioned. If ICANN did it once, it does
>not mean we should support more of it. You still have to make a case on
>the merits.

Of course, anything is controversial, but we need to think if this
controversial acts can help to develop more strong internet communities...
A lot of organizations use funds from international organizations and this
don't mean that this organizations be "at services" of the "funds".

> >3. In future ICANN will develop regional offices, that work in
>outreach.
>
>Should it? What exactly is "outreach?"

Interesting question, but i prefer to answer in spanish.

> >And more.. we can put the organizations that support in one side and
>the
> >organizations that are against in another side and present both
>positions.
>
>This is quite possible, could be a way to do it if agreement is not
>possible.

agreement?, at this moment.. we have:

Robin Gross (IP Justice) - against icann proposal

Erick Iriarte (Alfa-Redi) - in favor icann proposal

Iliya Nickelt () - in doubt

Erick