[governance] Substance: What issues should the WGIG focus on?

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Sep 9 20:52:27 CEST 2004

And you can't get "a single IP address" from any RIR. Perhaps you
can from an ISP (I have never tried). The critical constraint here,
which few people seem to understand, is the need for route
aggregation. In other words, ISPs must be given their addresses
in contiguous number blocks so that they can reduce the number of
routes identified in their routing tables by lumping those contiguous
addresses together into one route. That is why you can't have
IP address portability under the current system.

>>> Harold Feld <hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG> 9/9/2004 2:05:15 PM >>>
My understanding from community networks here in the U.S. that ARIN
will
charge $2,500/yr for an IPv6 block.  While cheap for a business, this
is
out of the question for CWNs -- especially given the alternative of NAT
boxes.

Harold

At 01:47 PM 9/9/2004, Adam Peake wrote:
>At 11:35 AM -0400 9/9/04, Harold Feld wrote:
>>I believe that we should raise the issue of the administration of
the
>>number space within the context of the WGIG.  We should highlight
those
>>issues in number allocation that inhibit noncommercial use of the
Internet
>>and should press for examination of these policies with a goal of
changing
>>them to policies that facilitate noncommercial use.
>>
>>Similarly, competitive effects of IP address allocation should be
>>examined.  Artificially inflated prices caused by allocation policies
that
>>inhibit the development of competition hurt all users, but
noncommercial
>>users in particular.  Artificially inflated prices are essentially a
>>regressive tax on IP allocations.
>

>Harold,
>
>How much do RIRs charges for a single IP address, I am pretty sure
APNIC
>works out at about 1 cent / address (it might be as much as 3 cents.
US
>not AU.)  Where's the problem, with the RIR or ISP?  (I don't know,
this
>is a genuine question!)
>
>I am very interested in finding out if RIR open policy processes
work.
>Something we've discussed in other lists is how some of the early
large
>allocations (the pre 1995 blocks) might be recovered. Some people in
Japan
>have mentioned IP number portability as a problem, plenty of broadband
and
>growing home networks (I am technically clueless, but I think there
are
>kind of hard wired reasons why that's hard.)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam
>

>>Harold
>>
>>At 07:21 PM 9/8/2004, you wrote:
>>>Not sure what this means. The tendency is to allocate number space
>>>large players (big ISPs which then sub-allocate to smaller
comapnies
>>>etc.), with no possibility to have your own small subset of IP
space
>>>as an end user (even if you are an .org with 100 computers). Is
this
>>>what you'd like to have changed? With IPv6 this seems sort of
>>>impossible (so I am told). I think it is a pity too.

recommendations