PIR & .org IDNs

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Tue Jan 13 15:27:14 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, at 23:18 [=GMT+0900], Adam Peake wrote:

> Great.
>
> Except, did you get a reply from PIR about why they are planning to
> delete the IDNs?

I did ask PIR in an email. I received no reply. This is days back.
Tucows was also going to ask PIR and get back to us. Nothing. This is
exactly how PIR handled the first stage, when they stopped the working
DNS of IDN org's: Try to let the story die a natural death. And evade
questions by referring to privacy of customers and other excuses.

> Do they work (published in the zone file?  dates
> for this?), do the follow new IETF standards, do they work without
> plugins, etc, as the new IDNs do (will do?).

ORG IDNs stopped working without any notice in March 2003.

> Unless you're very sure you're right, PIR are wrong, I think it may
> be unnecessary to include a specific reference to an incident like
> this in a policy recommendation.  Complain to PIR by all means, but I
> do not think this is appropriate place for it, and it does not
> reflect discussion in the thread "PIR and stability and consumer
> protection?"

Well, complaining to PIR does not help. I've tried that in the past.
See discussions on this list and others. (Google: Marc Schneiders
PIR.)

> (I am on the PIR advisory council so perhaps I'm "conflicted". Yes, I
> have asked about this matter --before seeing the draft statement
> you've just sent-- and hope for a reply in a few days.)

I do not understand why this should take a few days. I do know that
all answers I got from PIR in the past were evasive.

I am amazed that you as a member of the adv. council do not already
know about this deletion. Did they not ask your opinion?

And if it is not true, I would be even more amazed that there is no
reply.