Draft NCUC comments

Chris Chiu CCHIU at ACLU.ORG
Tue Feb 17 20:32:01 CET 2004

Kathy, thank you for drafting these comments. I am somewhat concerned about one passage on page 5:

"We strongly recommend ... the creation of an 'opt-out' policy which allows a domain name registrant to fully understand and freely choose whether or not to allow his/her personal data to be published in worldwide directories and available anonymously in any form."

Is an opt-out policy really the best approach? Why should the burden be put on the user to protect his or her own privacy? Shouldn't it be the other way around--that the information generally will not be shared without the person's prior consent?

Sincerely,
Christopher Chiu
Technology Policy Analyst
American Civil Liberties Union

-----Original Message-----
From: KathrynKL at AOL.COM [mailto:KathrynKL at AOL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 2:07 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Draft NCUC comments

All:
We have a deadline coming up soon on the response to WHOIS Task Force 2 Data Elements.  Milton and I have drafted some comments; Iliya has (thank you!) provided input.
Attached please find a draft (in Word) of comments in response to questions 1 and 2 asking for our uses, necessity for use and concerns about WHOIS data.  For us, the concerns seem to rank number 1.

I am still working on a draft response to Question 3, on anonymity, but will circulate that shortly.  I think we can submit the comments in  two parts because Questions 1 and 2 go to one TF2 subcommittee, and Question 3 goes to another.

So if you are concerned about the WHOIS data elements and privacy, please take a fast look at the comments attached.  Thanks, Kathy