NCUC and ISOC

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sun Feb 15 18:42:28 CET 2004

Today I would like to come back to the discussion after Milton had
pointed to the fact that NCUC has some active supporters facilitating
our work financially:

“Thanks to donations from NCUC supporters, NCUC has some money to
support members and effective participants who might not otherwise be
able to afford attending ICANN meetings.”

The following discussion was mainly focused on the procedures how to use
such funds – thanks to Ilya for referring back to the minutes.

But there was hardly any reference what the NCUC could do to get more
such funds in the future, and even the source of some of these funds –
Afilias – was mentioned with reservations: as if these funds were given
with strings – they were not. I think it would have been more
appropriate to register gratitude than to say “Non olet” - “money does
not have a bad smell and so we were able to take it.”

To have such donated resources may require some other approaches than
what I felt during the recent discussion.

Now I found that the person who took the initiative in Afilias – Desirée
Miloshevic - to get support for the NCUC is one of the four elected
candidates to be included in the ballot for the Organizational
Membership Elections for the Board of ISOC: ”This year two Trustees will
be elected by the ISOC Organizational Members and one by the ISOC
Chapters. In addition to this, one Trustee will be selected by the
Internet Architecture Board.”

For details, see
http://www.isoc.org/members/vote/2004election/nomcommreport.shtml

I think it is important to have people who understand and support NCUC
elected to the ISOC board, and that is why I bring this up here, so that
those among us who have Organizational Member status with ISOC or are
related to an Organizational Member could consider to elect Desirée
Miloshevic to the ISOC Board.

More information about her professional background is at
http://www.isoc.org/members/vote/2004election/profiles/miloshevic.shtml

I hope it is clear why I engage in this "election campaign" – it is to
extend the institutional links and the support for NCUC.

Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia