NCUC and the ICANN "WSIS Workshop PlanningGroup"

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Aug 9 00:00:46 CEST 2004

Erick:
I did explain, it is in the message right here:

>Reason: this is an ICANN management "show" designed to present a
>unified front to the WSIS process. The program is dominated by ICANN
>management and the Axis constituencies regardless of whether we
>participate or not. Notice, for example, that both shows gave Marilyn
>Cade
>the opportunity for a closing benediction, a privilege I don't think
>they would
>confer upon me or any other NCUC rep.
>
>So why waste scarce time on it?

More comments:

>>> Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia at amauta.rcp.net.pe> 08/08/04 05:18PM >>>
>in kuala lumpur you (Milton) talked with about about the
>necessity to work more close with ALAC, in special in WSIS
>issues.

We will work with ALAC - but independently of this
Workshop Planning Group. For example, in KL we had
a joint meeting. We do not need the "planning
group" to do things related to WSIS. It is a barrier
to activity rather than an aid.

>I don't understand your position (and i understand is only your
>position),

It is not just my position.
We discussed it a lot around the time of
the Rome meeting in the EC and among the Council
members.

>because another members from the constituency think (at
>least Adam and me) think is a good space to work together.

I have explained my position, now explain yours. Explain
what we gain by being put on a platform like puppets
and given three minutes to speak in a stage-managed
program.

--MM