Proposed ToR for Task Force 2

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Wed Sep 24 20:45:20 CEST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, at 12:24 [=GMT-0400], Milton Mueller wrote:

> I have made some modifications and additions to
> Bruce's original draft, keeping within its spirit but
> narrowing the focus and adding milestones.
>
> Title: Review of data collected and displayed
>
> Participants:
> - 1 representative from each constituency
> - ALAC liaison
> - GAC liaison
> - ccNSO liaison
> - SECSAC liaison
> - liaisons from other GNSO WHOIS task forces

The text (which I cut) looks good to me. It tends towards the best (in
my view) solution to privacy problems around whois: Give registrants a
choice what is visible for the public. I only hope not too much time
is wasted on debating whether a fax number should be kept in the
records of the registrar. Or a phone number. (This is not silly.
Registrars don't actually need that. I have never been called
by a registrar about a domain. And I have a lot, and use different
registars and have used even more different ones in the past. They
only send email.)

Something else. Is it necessary that there is just one rep from each
constituency in this TF? Is this some rule? If not, I suggest to have
two people from the registrars. For the registrars are not going to
like this, since it means they have to keep extra data, vid. with some
fields that they are YES/NO visible for the public. They will all have
to change their registration, modification, and whois software and
their websites... So it is necessary to get their cooperation. This is
not giving them extra votes. It is giving them extra work from the
beginning. They will get all the work anyway. Best to let them have a
bit more voice.

--
[12] This mail is never spam.
http://logoff.org/