New registry services (Jisuk,Carlos,Marc - please note)

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Sat Nov 8 05:13:54 CET 2003

(Not sure if VeriSign's customers are registrants, think they are registrars?)

>  >>> Marc Schneiders <marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG> 11/07/03 04:36PM >>>
>>I tried to sow another path in my earlier email. Sitefinder is not
>>about new services, but about abusing a service contract for making
>>money without introducing any new service. Sitefinder may be construed
>>as a service to users of the internet (as Verisign did). But not as a
>>service to their customers, domain name registrants. What Verisign did
>>with Sitefinder amounts to the same as my bank giving info about my
>>bad credit to loan sharks. (I am streching it a bit, ok.)
>
>Right. I see what you mean. SiteFinder definitely is not a service to
>..com/.net registration customers.

Anyway, this may not be completely correct.  Sitefinder had a feature
asking 'did you mean', and suggested a couple of live domains with
near combinations of characters in the name (typo for example only =
adapeake.com, sitefinder gave a couple of suggestions adampeake.com,
adampeak.com)

Ben Edelman had no data on this, whether people used it and found it
useful.  And I don't remember of the sites sitefinder suggested as
alternatives took the user to live websites or just to registered
domains.

Point - if it work and helped people find the name they were looking
for, it did serve VeriSign's customers.

Don't ignore possible consumer benefits.

Adam