[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council Resolutions

DannyYounger at cs.com DannyYounger at cs.com
Mon Sep 23 18:25:12 CEST 2002

Regarding the first Resolution:  The concept of three representatives per
constituency "in perpetuity" is a horrible idea.  The ICANN Board has
indicated their resolve to allow for the creation of provisional
constituencies, mentioning the following as examples of groups that might
self-organize to create such new constituencies:

Academic and public entities
Individual domain name holders
Consumer and civil society organizations
Small business users

It is my intent to participate with others to launch a Small Business
Constituency, and I expect that registrants and other groups will similarly
act to establish their own provisional constituencies (the academics and
civil society groups within the NCDNHC might even decide to form their own
body as well).  A 21-member Council is already sufficiently large, and adding
3, 6, or 12 more members to this Council will create an unworkable
environment.

The original proposal in the Blueprint that called for 2 members per
constituency makes a lot more sense than the latest proposals and resolutions
tendered.