[ncdnhc-discuss] Community Communications to US Department of Commerce on ICANN Evolution and Reform

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Tue Sep 3 18:26:02 CEST 2002

> At 11:19 PM 9/2/2002 -0700, Barbara Simons wrote:
> >Out of curiosity, did ICANN ever post Karl Auerbach's
> > Congressional...

> > who decides which Board member's testimony to post and which to
> >ignore? On what basis is that decision made?

> Out of curiosity, is this really the most important Internet naming and
> numbering issue you can find to spend everyone's energy on?
>
> Don't you ever pay just a little bit of attention to the actual work to
> be done, or is this all just an opera to you?
>
> I'm just asking.  They're just a couple of questions.
>
> d/
>

> ----------
> Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>
> Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
> tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850

Dear David,

as you are sharing your couple of questions to Barbara on this public list,
I take the opportunity to send also my reaction:

For me, this is not at all a kind of opera, but for me this relates to a
public concern, and how the nominated leadership of a public institution with
worldwide responsibilities is acting and suppressing valuable - in my opinion
valuable - alternative positions, taken by an elected board member.

There was a time when I used stories about ICANN's creation and development
as examples how public affairs can be discharched in a responsible and
transparent manner, a process from which those involved in the country where I live
since 12 years, and who are faced with the challenge to build technical
structures in a way that are most suitable and where all affected can know which
tasks are being faced, and how these tasks can be implemented without
manipulation - but based on arument.

I thought that the way which the White Paper had indicated as a roadmap was
an excellent example for us, where a closed, top down regulated society had
to find ways into an open society, where not established powers, but arguments
presented and publicly discussed among knowledgeable persons lead to
decisions.

I have long given up to point to the ICANN model when we are struggling to
find good structures for the emerging IT and Internet sector in this country.

This is not an "opera" for me - I have lost an important and originally
bright model.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein