[ncdnhc-discuss] Non Commercial Meeting

David W. Maher dwmaher at attglobal.net
Wed Oct 30 04:04:45 CET 2002

Kathy:
  I think you might want to add that I spoke primarily about the
opportunities for the new Public Interest Registry (PIR - the new manager
of the .org domain eff 1/1/2003, assuming ICANN approval) to work with the
Non Commercial constituency to  carry out the commitments made in  the
application to ICANN to manage the .org domain. These commitments include
many programs which will benefit the non-commercial users of .org. We (PIR)
will join the Non Commercial constituency, and we look forward to a
cooperative approach to foster non commercial use of the Internet through
expanded use of the .org domain. I encourage anyone who would like further
details about this to read the application to ICANN (available at:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc.htm
I was happy to share with the group, at your request, my history of being
an IP lawyer in the Internet - considered a traitor by the hard line IPers,
and a member of the establishment by others. It just makes my life more
interesting. I also made clear my commitment, in carrying out the fiduciary
requirements of Chair of the Board of PIR, to act on the basis of "personal
and professional convictions and experience without regard to client
interests or self-interest. ..." (from ALI Sec 9.04)
As I mentioned to you, I'm always available for discussion, questions,
comments etc. about PIR.
Best regards
         David  (btw - it's Maher, not "Mahir")