[ncdnhc-discuss] Revised Resolutions.

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Tue Oct 15 08:37:19 CEST 2002

"Harold J. Feld" wrote:

> I have added the resolutions proposed by Milton Mueller, on addition of
> new TLDs, and myself, on disagregation of the NCDNHC.
>
> Harold Feld

> ____________________
> RESOLUTION ON DISAGREGATION OF NONCOMMERCIAL CONSTICUENCY
> Proposed by Harold Feld
>
> Resolved: The Non-commercial Consticuency recommends the creation of further
>
> non-commercial consticuencies that may more properly represent the diversity of
>
> non-commercial user voices.  While non-commercial entities share many characteristics,
>
> discrete sets of non-commercial entities have different interests.
>
> It would better serve the ICANN process for these different interests to
>
> self-organize into more coherent units than the current broad "non-commercial" catagorization.
>
> The Names Council should encourage this disagregation and signal its willingness
>
> to admit new, self-organized consticuencies.

-
Harold
I do not support this new resolution, since it does not address the real problem
Sorry to be so crude, but I prefer make clear my view rather than
starting into another endless and hopeless structural refoundation.

The NCDNHC is existing.
Till the last election, it has been working reasonably.
It happened often that the consensus was difficult to achieve among
adcom members (like between Milton and myself), but this has always be a
matter of open discussion and did never prevent us to work together and
perform our duties (resolution approval procedure, meeting organisation,
teleconf to prepare NC chats, .org evaluation, etc...).
The NCDNHC took lot of time and energy to build and to identify as a
community, and we must keep the advantage to this huge work, rather than
throwing it away to start again from scratch!

The current problem with the constituency is that the adcom seats have
been captured by folks not able or willing to share time with the members.
Except for you, the unique activity of the adcom.NC members was to chat
with the NC (not all the teleconf) without reporting anything (before or
after) to the members.
In February, there was some discussion to move the web site to peacenet,
but it has been frozen since it is not hosted by ISOC any longer. This
is a DISASTER for the constituency communication and support and the
current ADCOM is fully responsible of this.
Having a seat into the ADCOM was unfortunately considered by the
February candidates has a way to gain some power or high rank position
(being member of the Names Council!), while it should have been only
understood as significant extra work to perform for the constituency.
That's a pity to be in such situation, but it is sure that creating a
new object will never cure problem of having wrong individuals at the
wrong place.
Again, better to change people that to rebuild another voiceless constituency.

Dany
-

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE