[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Resolution

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Thu Oct 3 16:07:08 CEST 2002

Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 06:48 PM 10/2/2002 -0400, Harold J. Feld wrote:
>
>> Resolved: The Non-commercial Consticuency recommends the creation of
>> further non-commercial consticuencies that may more properly represent
>> the diversity of non-commercial user voices.  While non-commercial
>> entities share many characteristics, discrete sets of non-commercial
>> entities have different interests.  It would better serve the ICANN
>> process for these different interests to self-organize into more
>> coherent units than the current broad "non-commercial" catagorization.
>

> What is that diversity?

Included but not limited to: institutes of higher learning (colleges,
universities, etc.), public advocacy groups, public charities,
recreational clubs.

I have received complaints that the public advocacy agenda dominates and
those with other concerns are excluded from discussion and cannot
participate meaningfully.  This would permit those identifiable
communities to self-organize and contribute to the ICANN process in a
manner in which they feel most comfortable.

> What should the other non-commercial constituencies be?

They should self-organize in accordance with the ICANN process.

> What is the basis for recommending that they have differential
> interests, warranting different constituency groups?

Complaints I have heard from those who feel that the current NCDNHC does
not suit their needs.

Harold