[ncdnhc-discuss] WHOIS

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 29 23:09:26 CET 2002

Chun:
These are excellent comments. I fully agree with them.
Even if I did not, you were elected to NC and have
followed our discussions of this issue, and
therefore have credibility to speak for the Noncommercial
constituency on this matter.

I think point 3 you make below is the most important one.

>>> Chun Eung Hwi <ehchun at peacenet.or.kr> 10/29/02 02:24PM >>>

1.	Interim report itself acknowledged that the survey is
statistically invalid because it didn't apply sampling method.
Nevertheless, this survey outcome is very frequently refered to and quoted
for the sake of supporting and justifying many recommendations. This is
one of the biggest and very important flaws this report has. As such, the
outcome is not fully reflecting general users' concerns particularly in
privacy protection issues.
2.	As a whole, interim report reflects only commercial interest
groups' concerns rather than consumers, general users' concerns. Some
recommendations have no ground at all. And all recommendations are
highlighting only one positive side. It doesn't write pros and cons of
each recommendations. Therefore, most statements should be rewritten in a
more balanced way considering general users' concerns
3.	This report is seeking two goals - one is to integrate all gTLD
whois databases. The other one is to integrate gTLDs' whois and ccTLDs'
whois databases. However, the best public policy or strategy to protect
privacy is to fragmentize databases. Moreover, each ccTLDs have their own
legal regulation basis. So, although ccTLD representative participated in
the TF, he/she could not represent all ccTLD community. And now in this
transition situation, ccTLD community is trying to organize themselves
relatively independent group from ICANN. Therefore, the consultation with
ccTLD community is necessary before final report is to be published.