[ncdnhc-discuss] Status of sanctions

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Thu Oct 3 18:15:43 CEST 2002

The matter of snactions for dues was discussed on today's NC conference
call.

Bruce Tonkin proposed that sanctions operate as per the bylaws, but that
the minutes of any Names Council meeting record the votes of any
sanctioned consticuencies.  Such votes would be non-binding, but would
provide the ultimate decisionmakers with the knowledge as to the broader
consensus.

I argued that, alternatively, sanctions should be deferred until at
least after Shanghai.  This argument was supported by Marilyn Cade (BC)
and Elisabeth Porteneuve (ccTLD).  Arguments in favor of deferral were:
the importance of the Shanghai meeting and the need to have all
consticuencies participate equally; the fact that details on the final
structure and whether payment of dues will even be necessary to support
policy work will be clarified at Shanghai (and, in the case of the
ccTLDs, they will no longer be a consticuency but a supporting
organization); and the fact that the DNSO has sufficient funds to wait
until after Shanghai to make a final determination (in fact, the DNSO
has sufficient funds on hand to operate at projected costs through April
2003).

Bruce, as chair, requested that I draft a resolution for consideration
of the Council to be voted online before Shanghai.

Harold Feld