[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-deletes] Minutes - Conference Call, November 15

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Nov 22 17:52:09 CET 2002

>Reminder:
>
>The constituency statement on deletes is required by the Deletes Task Force
>on November 22.   If you have any last minute thoughts on this topic, now
>would be a good time to forward them to your constituency representative
>and/or your officers.
>
>Also, for the benefit of those who, like myself, don't yet understanding the
>working process within this constituency, could someone perhaps explain to me
>who in this group is charged with the responsibility of drafting the
>constituency position paper

Me.  For details, see minutes of deletes conference call.

>, and/or if such papers are routinely presented to
>the membership for comment/review prior to their submission?

No. Least not that I've seen. I am not sure how we went about
generating statements in the past.  But, on the deletes issue, as you
may have seen, I've been trying to encourage some reaction from the
NCC membership. Problem is we have no history of comment on this
topic, and I had no intention of simply drafting a statement when I
had no idea what the constituency was thinking. Further problem is
that the timeline for the task force is extremely tight so there has
not been time to put a draft statement up for comment (again, read
the minutes or talk to your constituency rep --you're not a member of
this constituency, are you?-- and you'll see what I mean. I don't see
how any constituency could draft a statement that was based on
opinion expressed by the constituency and also have time to put that
statement to them for comment... by today.)

I've written a comment for the task force. It presents some issue I
think there has been some support for. You'll see this mail soon. I
hope it will generate more comment from NCC members, and I then might
then get an idea of what the membership wants. If what I've sent to
the task force is wrong, I'm sure I'll be told.

Danny, you're not a member of the constituency. I usually read your
messages to this list and the GA, and often find them helpful. But I
really do want hear back from our members and think your further
comments (and those of other non-members) could be a distraction
(have enough trouble getting comments as things are.) Would you mind
switching to read-only for a week or so.

Thanks,

Adam