[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-deletes] Minutes - Conference Call, November 15

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 20 17:14:16 CET 2002

Good suggestions, Danny. ICANN might also establish,
as an extension of its accreditation policy, some kind
of uniform printed format for renewal notices, or a uniform
format for email notices. Those who imitated it without
being the actual registrar might be threatened with
accreditation revocation. Email is on the whole far
more convenient, so it will always be used, but the
concept of an official document is worth exploring.

We are a small organization with only two domains
so it is easy to keep track of the domain's status.
We have not had any of the problems under discussion,
which is why no response. As you suggest it would
seem that if you don't want your domain to be
deleted one should be sure to renew it on time.

I remember hearing a brand manager for Nokia
complaining about the inability of registrars to
renew the domains for them. The registrars wanted
to sell them all kind of (unnecessary and expensive)
IP protection services, but could not manage to
renew their domains for them on time.

>>> <DannyYounger at cs.com> 11/20/02 04:00AM >>>
As I see it, the primary problem these days is that far too many registrars
rely almost exclusively on e-mail correspondence to deal with renewals, and
the community already is under siege from so much spam from both registrars
and re-sellers that it is very easy to overlook a genuine renewal notice
(which then leads to all these concerns over inadvertent deletions).  Perhaps
as a matter of prudent policy we should require all registrars to send
renewal notices by regular mail... as they don't seem to have any problem
sending deceptive renewal notices by regular mail (slamming), they equally
shouldn't have any complaints sending genuine renewal notices in such a
manner.

If we're going to have some type of uniform policy to minimize registrant
confusion, why don't we begin by evaluating the merits of the .name approach
as compared to the approach utilized by .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz?  We
shouldn't make the mistake of instantly assuming that the processes utilized
by these dominant registries are inherently superior to those introduced by a
recent newcomer.