[ncdnhc-discuss] UDRP Revision??

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Nov 4 21:10:53 CET 2002

Jeff:
I am someone who has actually chaired a NC Task Force, and
one of the few that actually delivered a policy on time. I know
what it takes to make them work. The answer, in two words,
is leadership and responsibility; more precisely the willingness
of the chair of the TF to initiate action, prod others into action,
set an agenda, and follow through. All of that is lacking now.
Nothing will happen until that changes.

All of your explanations fall way short. The terms of reference
could be changed, or elements of it ignored, if the chair
and members agreed. The survey could be tossed out, revised
modified. Investigations of the new dispute resolution mechanisms
could be initiated. All of the members of all Task
Forces have day jobs, yet none have been as remiss
as this one. No other TF had any ICANN staff support.

It is obvious that the problem with this TF lies with
its chair. The current chair of the TF does not even
participate in the email list, much less lead it. I gave
a simple, logical explanation for that. I have yet to
see an alternative explanation.

--MM

>>> "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us> 11/04/02 12:22PM >>>
What I was referring to in the "conspiracy" was your baseless allegation
that because the TF is chaired by someone from the IPC, that he was
intentionally not doing anything with the UDRP Task Force because it was in
the IPC's best interest to not do anything with the UDRP.

Milton, over the years your objectivity has declined.  The better
explanations could be as follows:

(a)  The Terms of Reference are so broad that no one knows where to begin;
(b)  The Survey did not narrow the issues at all, but rather listed a whole
host of new issues to consider;
(c)  The Survey is now over a year old and new TLDs have been introduced
with new dispute policies (some of which may have improvements; some do not)
(d)  The Task Force is made up of volunteers who all have day jobs and not
the time or the resources to conduct the proper work that needs to be done;
(e)  Many constituencies representatives have not participated at all in the
work or even in making suggestions;
(f)  There is not yet ICANN staff support to help;

Those are just a few explanations which are a lot more plausible than the
conspiracy theory you have set forth.  Please refrain from making your
allegations, because frankly it insults the rest of us that have done work
on the task force.  And by the way, the moment you want to get involved
again in the task force and help out, let us know.

Thank you.