[ncdnhc-discuss] Board retreats and fully transparent process for ICANN

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue May 28 03:21:18 CEST 2002

At 07:46 PM 5/27/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>Dave, you might check with your local city government to see what a good set
>of open meeting and open records laws look like.

1.  Although some local governments do have rules that require NO closed
meetings, I suspect that is not the norm.  At a minimum, it calls to
question the basis for insisting that the ICANN board be prohibited from
meeting in private, as you seem to desire.

2.  As has been typical, the matter of scaling is being ignored.  City
governments cover few people and small areas, compared with the scale that
ICANN must deal with.

3.  As has been typical, the matter of operations administration is being
ignored. City governments do not worry about direct operations
administration, as ICANN does.  Neither do the international agencies that
you cite.

So we again have a solid indication that concerns about ICANN are about
fantasies that does not exist, rather than about the actual organization
that does and the actual tasks it is concerned with.

>    Most of these sessions are public,

Most?  Not all?

Oh, then you must object to them, since you are demanding that ALL ICANN
board meetings be in public.

d/