[ncdnhc-discuss] boundaries of IPR policy making

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun May 12 18:50:57 CEST 2002

At 10:09 AM 5/12/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>I would like ICANN to adopt a boundary statement withregard to its role in
>making IPR policy.  In particular, I would like ICANN policy making for this
>to be limited to the UDRP and whois policy, the two areas of current policy
>making, and to declare that it will not consider addition IPR policy making.

James,

The current documents that define ICANN's mission and scope are publicly
available.  If you wish to modify any of those documents, please offer
specific text that can be added to the appropriate documents.

This will permit debating the efficacy of concrete text rather than a
general idea.

It would also help for you to explain what problem you are solving that
makes such a basic change appropriate.  Since your proposal is based upon a
fear of expanded IPR scope, what is there in the ICANN history that
warrants the fear?

d/