[ncdnhc-discuss] Initial Comments on the .ORG RFP

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon May 6 04:33:02 CEST 2002

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling.

For a number of reasons, I think the best thing ICANN
can do at this time is try to bolster the flagging integrity of
its own processes. That means we ought to be doing
nothing more than ascertaining that the staff RFP conforms
to the DNSO policy (and consistent Board directions)
and does not throw some major deviation in there, either
deliberately or inadvertently.

In other words, we should not be redefining the policy or
making major additions to it, not at this stage.

With that perspective, I think that points 1 and 2 are good
but problematic because there is not enough of a
record or enough discussion of them during the process to
justify making them requirements now. However, I think
idea #1 is a really good one, so I will put it before the
.org TF and the staff and see what happens. The idea is
not inconsistent with the DNSO policy or Board directions
in any way, and obviously has much to recommend it
as a way of decoupling "fake" non-profits from
commercial registries. One could view it not as a policy
matter but as an implementation matter.

I already tried to float idea #2 during the TF teleconference
and it got nowhere with staff, so I won't put much energy
into that.

Idea #3 - I suspect that both the staff
and the applicants won't like the idea of the winner subsidizing
the review of losing applicants. Anybody else have any
comments about this one?

>>> "James Love" <james.love at cptech.org> 05/03/02 10:38AM >>>
>
> 1.   ICANN could tell the potential operators to avoid exclusive agreements
> with the Non-Profits, so that any non-profit would have access to the same
> commerical operator on the same terms.

This is an interesting idea.

2.  Even better of course would be to choose the operator and the non-profit
separately (even if during the same competition), with the operator choosen
on the basis of a competitive bid (based upon low price or highest cash
bid).    WHY ISN'T THIS DONE?  Does the ICANN Staff and Board think that the
price paid to the registry is unimportant, or is this done to make sure the
registry can make big bucks? Or is the competitive bid for the operator
avoided in order to avoid the embarassment (to Verisign and other
registries) of a $1 per name registry price winning a competitive auction?

3.   Drop the $35k application  fee to $1k.  Make up the lost revenue by
charging $$$ to the winner, who gets a $5Million bankroll for being
selected.

Jamie