[ncdnhc-discuss] Committee on Reform comments

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat May 4 14:35:16 CEST 2002

Since the other DNSO constituencies are submitting comments, we should be
able to get something from the NCC in, even though it is past the April 29
date.

Maybe we can get consensus on some of the following points.

1.   Keep the exiting elected at large directors until a system is in place
to replace them with a new election. (Registrars have endorsed this)
2.  Have all of the board members elected by someone other that the board
itself.  (i.e., from an SO, or an at large constituency).
3.  Implementing the Independent Review (I believe this is achieveable,
despite board and staff resistance, because it was promised to DoC, and DoC
thinks it should be implemented).
4.   Implementing at large elections.
5.   Leaving the ccTLDs alone.
6.   Creating a constituency for individuals in the DNSO.

Possible areas, but maybe too controverial:

1.  Eliminate all current unelected at large board members, to be replaced
by the new process.
2.  Replacing the CEO, based upon how off the wall the Lynn plan was in
terms of lack of public accountability.
3.  Decentralizing DNSO decisions (probably not a consensus area).
        Regionally ?
            Self organized
            5
            11/12?
        Functionlly ?
            Commerical
            Non-commerical
            ccTLD
            Treaty based organizations
            Governments
4.  Replace the CEO with the Chair of the GA an ex officio ICANN board
member.
5.  Creating an SO for Internet User constituencies (NCC, individual domain
name holders, ISP customers)

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040