[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Fri May 3 19:50:18 CEST 2002

I think we can summarize Dave Crocker's strategy here as:

1. Unless you can spell out every single detail one could possibly imagine,
nothing you say should be considered ready for debate.

I also think it's time to abandon this strategy.....    Clearly if one
wanted to decentralize all sorts of decision making on TLDs, it could be
done, and clearly resolving disputes over uniqueness of strings can be done
a thousand different ways, if anyone really wanted to.  This sort of bad
faith stuff does not reflect well on the defenders of the ICANN status
quo.....  it sounds like, we don't want to defend the merits of centralized
decision making, we'll just assert that it is the only system that works.
Defying of course any common sense of how the real world functions.

More interesting for me would be to see different models for
decentralization, and examine the benefits and problems that each system
would offer.

  Jamie