[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 3 19:34:00 CEST 2002

At 03:42 AM 5/2/2002 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>On Wed, 1 May 2002, Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM wrote:
> > The degree to which you seem to think that some functions can be
> > decentralized appears unrealistic to me. As a prime example, gTLD policy.
>
>**Why** exactly can't this be decentralized?

Michael, when someone calls for a change, they have a responsibility to
provide details that show the efficacy of the change.  It is not reasonable
to call for a change, provide no implementation detail, and then demand of
others that they demonstrate why the change is not appropriate or feasible.

So if you are going to claim that it is appropriate to change an
operational and administrative model that has been successful since the
inception of the DNS, more than 15 years ago, the burden is on YOU to
provide documentation concerning feasibility and efficacy.

It is no wonder that you are disinclined to provide such detail, given the
absence of any real-world, comparable examples to demonstrate the
feasibility and efficacy of your proposal.

>As far as I can tell, the only functions that require centralization are
>3. setting in motion the processes by which other bodies will choose the
>gTLDs;

You need to specify in detail how those "other bodies" would achieve
allocations that do not collide with each other and how this would be
superior to the current model.  That specification needs to attend to
disputes about allocations.

>1 is easy.
>
>2 becomes much easier if one accepts that ICANN should look only at the
>engineering issues.

Most things are easier if one ignores the hard parts.

Technical administration and operations is a hard problem on a global
scale.  When you start attending to that reality, discussion about
proposals will have some grounding in reality.

>   But after three years, and in the face of some
>fairly strong consensus that if there's a technical limit it is very high,

This is a good example of trivializing the topic.  The maximum number of
TLDs that can be supported in the root servers is only one of several
issues concerning limits.  That there is consensus among DNS experts that
that physical limit is high -- and there is far less consensus about just
how high -- is fine, but not nearly sufficient.

This topic has been explicated many times over the last few years.  Before
asserting a simplistic truth about this, please familiarize yourself with
the broader range of issues affecting DNS operational limits.

>I think the burden is quite clearly on those who would leave the limit a 7
>every three years.

There is no such group.  Please do not invent groups and positions to
oppose.  It does not facilitate understanding or progress.

>And, if it needs saying, the idea the ICANN has security
>*responsibilities* is a total non-starter.

The idea that you can assert an absolute over a topic with which you
demonstrate far too little understanding is an even better non-starter.

Again, the range of issues involving DNS security has been discussed at
length. Please familiarize yourself with those discussions and try to
provide specific, informed comment rather than simplistic, broad dicta.

>   The fact that it has appointed
>a committee -- the prime evidence for this responsibility noted in the
>staff report-- is evidence of nothing other than desires for grandure.

You really need to stop projecting psychological assessments of yourself
onto others.

d/