[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 3 10:51:52 CEST 2002

At 01:23 PM 5/2/2002 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>ICANN does not assign IP#s.

 From the standpoint of hierarchy administration, yes it does.

That is delegates the first-level below the top of the IP hierarchy to the
RIRs does not mean that it is not doing assignment.  It means that it is
doing assignments of address blocks to the RIRs.

This is identical to doing TLD assignments.

>it doesn't actually do anything except collect fees for preventing
>too many new RIRs from springing up and competing with the incumbents.)

having a central point of coordination involves rather more than you seem
to be aware of.  always has.

>And, last I heard, ICANN does not assign domain names.  It delegates the
>assignments to registries.

You need to learn more about the nature and mechanics of assignment
processes.  Delegation is part of the assignment process.  Delegation from
the top of the tree is the ultimate assignment authority.

>One could say that ICANN assigns gTLDs.  This should end. It should
>delegate the power to make assignments something like it does for IP#s.

Does the fantasy of that "should" have any practical component to it?  So
far, there have been no meaningful proposal details forthcoming, to show
how such a change would make things more efficient, more fair, more
reliable, or more of anything else useful.

d/