[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

jefsey jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri May 3 01:11:55 CEST 2002

Michael,
ICANN actually delegates nothing.

There are two ways of understanding the DNS, depending if you want :
- to control the Internet as a subsystem of the international-network - à
la Jon Postel
- to serve the worldwide TCP/IP networks namespace - as ICANN should do.
(the ICANN wants to control the worldwide namespace: too much for them)

To "delegate" (control style) and to "register" (service style) mean
"writing a name, the name server knowing about its sub.names and the IP of
that name server in a DNS file".

If that name includes no dot it is a TLD. If it includes on dot, it is an
SLD, etc. When loading a DNS server one call that files in sequence. The
first called (which therefore will be everywhere) is the root. But there
may be many more. I currently support in France - nationwide, with seven
ISPs - 7000 TLDs. As you may have noted the French fun is not on the nets
but in the polls.

As Kent Crispin explained it, managing the DNS is not a complex thing.
There is absolutely nothing to do. In case of collision the users would
make both Managers to quickly find a solution, so no one will try it. I
certainly can do all the ICANN work on my spare time (I actually did it for
8 years).

What is complex, as Kent explained it, is to *make believe* the ICANN is
needed. Hence :

- that joke about contracts. No ccTLD will sign them, but they give the
feeling the ICANN is important.
- that distingo between "chartered", "specialized" etc.. TLDs to make you
use their words
- the delay in signing TLDs to make believe it is complex
- the .org divestiture: asking the DNSO, making Milton work so they might
show their "power" n disregarding his work..
- that fuss about IANA entries. So the ccTLDs dispute it, instead of
creating their own root.
- ".biz" : without their NeuLevel would have joined forces with Leah, and
would make money now..
- Daves and Kents only joy in life: that hoax. Making you waste your time
so you believe it is important.
- ICP-3: the rationale "people are too stupid to cope with 310 TLDs, but
are OK with 257".
- the leftist crusade against "profit making" New.net
- the joke about ".eu" and the ISO 3166 and about ".un" etc...
- the best trick: to make people to pay the ICANN TLD application fee to
convince them that the ICANN has some authority!
- the best best trick: to try to make the Govs to pay the ICANN to convince
them that the ICANN is of any use.
- etc. etc.

Show me only one thing that could not have been better organized without
the ICANN....; or faster, or cheaper.

They enjoy the fun with our time and money. I am not sure we do.
jfc