[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu May 2 17:58:34 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Crispin" <kent at songbird.com>
> >  Could the DNSO set up REGIONAL bodies to authorize new TLDS, so
> > the ICANN board only has to deal with GLOBAL coordination issues (like
is
> > done now for numbering).
>
> Suppose that two regional bodies authorize the same name? You simply
> cannot avoid the fact that the decision ultimately rests at the central
> coordinating point.

   Kent, are you doing this to just make my blood boil?  How many times do I
have to shout that ICANN can deal with uniqueness issues (in a million
different ways).  What are you deaf or don't you read?   This doesn't
justify the whole ICANN form of entry regulation, price regulation,
management model, etc stuff.

    On the issue of uniqueness of TLD Strings, I suggest there be a global
committee which deals *only with this issue.*   And then the board could do
one less thing, and have one less excuse to control what people do on the
Internet.    Why have the current ICANN board members deciding what string
the airline industry uses, or who should control the .union, .kids or
.health string.   It isn't as if the current board is particularly qualified
to do this.    It would be a public service to come up with a system for
handing disputes over who gets which dictionary words or other in-demand
strings, that did not require the board to be the decision maker.

    The UDRP and the Whois decisions are pretty much a done deal.   Let's
move on.

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040