[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed May 1 21:36:37 CEST 2002

Jamie:
Two aspects of this "dialogue" are good symptoms of the problem
you are identifying.

1. ICANN doesn't know how to share power. It is allergic
to the whole idea. This has been true since the IFWP.
Which is why it's a waste of time to participate in Alejandro's
rigged reform process, nothing more than a way for the
same old bunch of people to rationalize what they have
already decided they want to do.

2. A mid-level computer administrator (Kent) somehow has
gotten it into his head that he's an expert on global institutions
and international coordination processes. Based on some
minor and limited experience with the early days of Internet
coordination, he fixates on that method and can see no
other.

Btw, the international interconnection of telephone
systems occurred bottom up, with national authorities
participating (voluntarily) in the ITU. This is something
Kent knows absolutely nothing about, but of course that
didn't stop him from making assertions about it.

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:48:14PM -0400, James Love wrote:
> Maybe Dave Crocker is right.  Maybe the entire world has never figured out
> how to coordinate any global allocation decisions without a single global
> body making *all* of the decisions.

That is basically correct, though there is an ambiguity in the scope of
your use of the term "*all*".