[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Wed May 1 17:38:27 CEST 2002

Well,  on this list, a few persons have put forward nice arguments that
since the Internet is global, everything should be decided by a single
global central planning agency.  Maybe we need to expand ICANN's mission a
bit more.  For example, why not have ICANN license all software publishers,
to make sure that they don't violate anyone's intellectual property, write
bad code, or fail to adopt the "right" protocols.  Maybe every ISP should be
licensed by ICANN, to ensure that they protect IP, and also that they don't
use the wrong roots. I can see that a fast growing list of equipment
manufactures of Internet related products could benefit from closer
supervision by ICANN.  After all, the Internet is global, and we need
uniform and responsible approaches.   Maybe ICANN could regulate the online
sale of airline tickets, since airplanes fly between countries, and use the
Internet to sell tickets.  And what about all those people creating lousy
web pages, that don't use good W3C approved web standards.   I'm sure there
is much work to be done.  After all, it's global, so it must be a good idea
to have centralized control by one body of self selected experts overseeing
things.

Jamie

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040