[ncdnhc-discuss] Committee on ICANN Evolution and ReformSeeks PublicSubmissions

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Fri Mar 29 01:32:24 CET 2002

Dear Milton Mueller and others,

I think that this discussion is very helpful and inspiring what we should
take into account.  I will make a brief sketch on what is going on towards
ICANN II or whatever we call it.

1. ICANN Board and its Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform chaird by
Alejandro will do their work in their own way.

2. DNSO Names Council and GA will forge a consensus opinion or
alteranative plan for restructuring of ICANN as a response to Stuart
Lynn's proposal.

3. U.S. Congress/Senate will have hearing on ICANN

4. U.S. Gov - DoC shoud decide whether MoU with ICANN will be extended or
not. Or what Bush version of ICANN are waiting for us?

5. Many independent or DNS related group, organizations, experts,
individuals are reviewing what ICANN has done and proposing alternatives.

Among these streams, I confirmed the one common understanding that ICANN
has failed. And except for majority of ICANN Board members, all shared
that Lynn's reform proposal has very severe flaws. In my impression of
Accra meeting, ICANN Board is completely isolated from internet community
and seems to have no idea where they are going towards. Last Board
decisions,particularly on At Large Representatives in Board, were quite
far away from community consensus. More bad thing is that they believe
they could decide even what community does never support. Therefore, it is
really wasteful to expect what reform in its literal meaning would be
initiated by Board. Nevertheless, to witness what user community is
thinking and to what extend non-commercial is responding to this is our
responsibility.

Even in any change of ICANN structure, Non-commercial community will keep
our own place and voice. In that respect, NCDNHC is not simply one
constituency of the failed ICANN, but a on-going community. What
constructive role will this community play in this transition period is
also the main topic to be taken into account.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
hun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2062-1302
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr