[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ALSC-Forum] Last Call: Is there a third consensus ?

Joop Teernstra terastra at terabytz.co.nz
Tue Mar 26 03:41:38 CET 2002

At 09:19 24/03/02 +0100, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
>Jefsey Morfin:
>A solution can only result from a consensus of the Internet Community and
>it needs it to succeed.
>
>Vint Cerf:
>consensus would surely help I think.
>

>This is a last and public call to opponents to this idea. Anyone thinking
>that the ICANN evolution may either succeed without being supported by a
>World Internet Community consensus or will fail anyway, please speak-up now.
>
>Silence will mean that there is a consensus about the need for a consensus
>on the solution which will be proposed.

Silence means no such thing. What it may mean is uncertainty about how you
define consensus and uncertainty about "solution which will be proposed".
Speaking out also does not mean that you can classify me as "an opponent of
the idea".

>1. any solution not supported by a consensus will not be binding nor
>legitimate for many
>2. any group or interest trying to propose a solution outside of a
>consensual process would be legitimately regarded as a disrupter and would
>not be considered in any consensus oriented debate and count.
>
>If no one opposes, I will set-up a site at http://wecann.com to establish
>links to the different ICANN evolution propositions, a working mailing
>list between their authors to permit them to discuss that site so their
>works are presented in the best, fairest and most neutral and efficient manner.
>
>I also call on anyone who could provide:
>- free hosting
>- free simple polling - not voting - service
>- free secretariat (for comparative analysis work, documentation links, etc..)
>- free mailing lists for the authors - and may be working groups
>- funding for a more structured effort
>for that site (my resources are limited, and I will myself propose a
>solution).

Jefsey,

All these resources are also needed for the icannatlarge.com effort of
bringing together  a membership of individuals.

There too, leadership will be needed to guide a process of coming to a
consensus about ICANN policy issues.
Some of the tools to manage that process have already been created.
The Nomination process for an interim supervisory Panel has just started
and elections will follow shortly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you not calling for a duplication of effort?

--Joop