[ncdnhc-discuss] Important: Board action on .orgdivestiture

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Tue Mar 19 18:12:56 CET 2002

From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller at syr.edu>

> Anyway, your facts are wrong. YJ's ORG alliance surfaced
> only AFTER the policy was formed. YJ was not on the Task
> Force. On the other hand, Mike Roberts Dot org alliance
> was formed much earlier, and he played a significant role in
> shaping the business constituency's position. Both Robert's
> and YJ Park's actions were fair and aboveboard, in my opinion,
> within the context of ICANN's "industry self-regulation
> scheme" in which such overlapping of interests are built into
> the system. Roberts and Parks are only two of the five or
> six potential bidders who surfaced during the process.

Where are these five or six potential "bidders" summarized ?

Why not have each one supply an IPv4 .ORG TLD server and all
collectively operate the Registry ?

They have to operate in parallel with Verisign anyway, in order to
make for a smooth transition. The same technology that allows
them to operate in parallel with Verisign can be used to operate
in parallel with each other.

One company does not have to be a single point of failure. This
will become more important when thousands of TLDs are in
wide-spread use. People will want assurances that things are
reliable by having several companies backing each other up.
DNS is fundamentally a database operation, it is not rocket
science to clone and replicate servers.

--
JF