[ncdnhc-discuss] Important: Board action on .org divestiture

James Love love at cptech.org
Tue Mar 19 13:40:23 CET 2002

Alejandro and Milton.  I'm in an FTC hearing this morning on a different
topic.  I can respond more thoughtfully this afternoon, and I will.  But in
general most of our concerns can be reconciled most of the TF
recommendations for .org, if one wanted to do so.   For example, the
non-profit entity could be required to seek competitive bids for registry
services, decentralizing this task from the overworked ICANN staff.   Also,
our concerns over the UDRP and the "marketing" issue are pretty close.  I
think the larger issue for us is how does ICANN pick among competing
proposals?   Here too ICANN could choose models such as letting incumbent
.org domain name holders vote to pick the group to manage their domains,
which is a less subjective selection mechanism.  The proposal supported by
the most domain holders wins?  What's wrong with this?   But also, I agree
with Alejandro, that one has to discuss a bit the rationale for having a
non-profit involved in the first place.  With a fixed price contract, and no
competitive cash bid, I would definately favor the nonprofit.... it is less
of a rip-off.   But there may be alternatives that make sense too.    But
also Milton and others have an important point.  Regardless of what I think,
there is a process that ICANN is supposed to follow.  Jamie