[ncdnhc-discuss] Important: Board action on .org divestiture

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Tue Mar 19 08:44:20 CET 2002

Milton,

the Board fully considered the DNSO statement. I will speak for myself in
how I voted. The intention is to leave open those options that will
benefit .org registrants most, by providing the security that the registry
will be properly operated in a professional manner. As was clearly argued
(but I guess that you have not looked at any of the transcripts of the
session, nor the video recording) .org is already large (3M) and has to be
run at a high level of efficacy and efficiency.

There is also a perception that optimizing the operation may be at odds
with trying to obtain a surplus to apply to "good causes". This may in the
long run be opposed to plain, good operation in the service of the users.
"Grandfathering" not only means keeping a registry with the present
registrants, it also means providing as good service as possible to them.

The DNSO's insistence on "marketing" was severely attacked by Prof. Abril,
as it had already been questioned in previous fora. I disagree with your
statement that the DNSO document was non-controversial. Even after your
activity, our own James Love made clear some serious issues which directly
bear on the choice of good service and pricing over other considerations.

Once the RFP is out, I expect that we will see bids from all types of
organizations, non-profit or otherwise. I expressed my call to see
presented only honest proposals, ie in this context those in which a
non-profit is only formed or recruited as a "front" for a business. Maybe
this is only a wish.

Most other aspects of policy guidance from the DNSO have effect only on
the RFP itself or even later, in the decision process.

Our constituency should be most concerned about the following:

There are all kinds of possible conflict of interest in this field. Surely
YJ Park has already finally disclosed her long story of conflict here;
this constituency (and you, Milton, in particular) allowed her for months
to be working for a group that is vying for a bid on .org. Whether there
be profit or none involved, the fact of shaping policy on .org in the
Names Council and building a well-subsidized effort to bid, appear
clearly as a distortion of process. Now that she has made this full
disclosure, and we can openly ask her about its implications, it falls on
you, Milton, to tell the constituency where you stand.

Were your actions in shaping .org policy independent of the approaches you
received from .org bidders, or other interests you have developed in the
field?

Can our AdCom members make clear statements about this type of conflict in
each of their cases? Please remember that we have an ongoing discussion on
a resolution that was carried from the list to the physical meeting and
modified there, which addresses exactly this problem.

It seems to me that this type of conflict is of far wider and deeper reach
than your insistence on picking on Kent. BTW I will start action, and Kent
has also expressed his intention on doing so, to search for a policy on
conflict of interest for ICANN staff. But I'd rather see the problem of
understaffing solved than devoting unwarrranted efforts to nitpicking.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org