[ncdnhc-discuss] Conflict of interest

James Love love at cptech.org
Fri Mar 15 21:53:01 CET 2002

Kent,

Getting back to first principles, the main thing is to understand why (some)
governments (all over the world) enact rules that limit political activity
by the civil service, or prohibit civil servants from interfering in
legislative affairs.  There is a widely shared concern that there should be
independence between various powerful actors or branches of the government.
You see rules that limit commingling of:

-    The staff the carry out the day to day functions of the government
-    The elected heads of those governments
-    The groups that set the rules (the legislative branch)
-    The groups that revolve disputes (the judicial).

I personally think separation is a good idea, and the lack of separation a
bad idea.

Likewise, in the corporate world (including the non-profit world) you have
ideas like independent auditors, and criticism when say Arthur Anderson was
both a consultant and an auditor to Eron.  In an institution like ICANN,
where there are lots of concerns over misuse of power, it makes sense to
have systems that inspire confidence, rather than on that breeds distrust.

Note also that I support the inclusion of Potters Yachters as an NCC member
and of Dave Crocker as an NCC representative from his NGO, and agree with
both you and Dave on some substantive issues and disagree on others, and my
views on the separation of staff and the various legislative bodies (the
DNSO) are not meant to be taken as personal attacks on anyone.  Like Michael
Froomkin, I encourage the ICANN staff (including you or Andrew) to
particpate in the list discussion and to share views and answer questions.

   Jamie