[ncdnhc-discuss] 2002 1st Adcom Meeting Report!

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Mar 15 02:16:30 CET 2002

At 07:55 PM 3/14/2002 -0500, James Love wrote:
>      We let everyone (except for felons and non-citizens) vote for school
>board members, senators, presidents, etc.   We don't let everyone vote for
>everything.  For example, I don't vote for the Senator for California or a
>member of paraliment in Germany.

No doubt there is some relevance in such examples, but it isn't obvious.

>   I don't vote in multiple DNSO
>constituencies, and some of the constituencies have rules against membership
>in more than one.

Membership rules pertain to organizations, not their representatives.

>personally object to the staff voting in the DNSO constituencies... I think
>we have plenty of conflicts of interest without having the staff playing
>around in bodies that are supposed to be independent.  This is my opinion.

Indeed it is, and you are entitled to it.

However the question was about formal constituency policy.  Folks keep
offering their personal opinions as if they represented official
constituency policy.

>It may not be Dave Crockers or Kent's opinion, and apparently it isn't
>Andrew McLaughlin's opinion either.

It also is not the opinion of attorneys who are asked whether the concept
of conflict of interest applies here.

And for that matter, you and others who DO believe there is a conflict of
interest issue have, so far, been unable to articulate it in terms that
actually show any undue power.  Remember, that is what the concept of
conflict of interest is about.

Apparently the concept of conflict of interest among some of you is
whatever you are uncomfortable with.

It is difficult to achieve fair treatment with such a subjective basis.

d/