[ncdnhc-discuss] 2002 1st Adcom Meeting Report!

James Love love at cptech.org
Fri Mar 15 01:55:17 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>
To: "James Love" <love at cptech.org>
Cc: "Kent Crispin" <kent at songbird.com>; <discuss at icann-ncc.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] 2002 1st Adcom Meeting Report!

> James,
>
> Before a government employee is "allowed" to vote, must they first get
> official permission of the government that they work for?
>
> And to the extent that you consider this comparison invalid, please
explain
> how.

     We let everyone (except for felons and non-citizens) vote for school
board members, senators, presidents, etc.   We don't let everyone vote for
everything.  For example, I don't vote for the Senator for California or a
member of paraliment in Germany.   I don't vote in multiple DNSO
constituencies, and some of the constituencies have rules against membership
in more than one.    Some states have closed party primaries, others have
open primaries.  In corporations they have different types of stock with
different voting rights.  In the NCC some people cast votes that count twice
(large organizations).    I don't know much about Kent's status in other
DNSO constituencies, he seems to have his fingers in several.  But he is a
apparently a full time and well compensated member of the ICANN staff, a
group that is supposed to be carrying out some bottom up consensus.  I
personally object to the staff voting in the DNSO constituencies... I think
we have plenty of conflicts of interest without having the staff playing
around in bodies that are supposed to be independent.  This is my opinion.
It may not be Dave Crockers or Kent's opinion, and apparently it isn't
Andrew McLaughlin's opinion either.  The question is, what rules will the
NCC adopt?  In the end, this isn't a matter of opinion, but a matter of the
rule.    I don't care if Kent votes in at large elections.     The way
things are going, we might just end up with the staff being the board of
directors, and no one else getting a vote in anything.

Jamie

> d/
>
> At 07:20 AM 3/13/2002 -0500, James Love wrote:
> >Kent, just for the record, I take your contribution to mean that the
ICANN