[ncdnhc-discuss] What about 5 (or more) ICANNs?

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 6 18:20:40 CET 2002

On 17:35 05/03/02, Dave Crocker said:
>At 11:31 AM 3/5/2002 -0500, James Love wrote:
>>    I think you could decentralize the issues surrounding the unique list of
>>names, as well.  You could agree that different regional bodies would
>>allocate names, and negotiate between groups where issues of uniqueness
>>present a problem.  Or is there some reason why this won't work?
>

>Please present an example of such a scheme having worked on a global scale
>for a critical infrastructure resource.

the international datanetwork naming plan, for years.

Millions of paying users, under State Department liaison and with CCITT
(ITU/T) attendance. Relating 55 monopolies round the world, plus a large
number of private/independant networks, including one named ARPANET before
and after switching to TCP/IP.

Coordinated by a very small team of people in San Jose/Vienna/Paris and
managed by Mrs. Vida Stafford with one assistant. From 1977 (date of the
introduction of the root name concept by Joe Rinde/Bob Tréhin at the Common
Carrier Club [WUI - ITT - RCA - Euroean PTTs], until 1986 when most of the
transfer of public servcies to X.121 numbering plan was completed. Some
private nets kept using it for a while such ARPANET [com, net..] which
managed it through the IANA functions.

Or may be you think the DNS is not a good example of the way of managing
the DNS?