[ncdnhc-discuss] taking politics out of the .org delegation

Rob Courtney rob at cdt.org
Tue Mar 5 17:10:55 CET 2002

At 11:01 AM -0500 3/5/02, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>what is .org worth?  As I understand it, the incumbent keeps all the fees
>paid for registrations to date, however long they are, and the new bidder
>takes on the uncompensated task of keeping those entries updated until
>renewed.  So on day one, it's a big liability...  or am I missing
>something?

I think that's right -- although if a non-commercial operator takes
over .org, then there's a US$5 million fund established by VeriSign
to help it get on its feet.

>On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, James Love wrote:
>
>>  Rob,
>>
>>  1.    If you want to get a low price for the .org registry, award the
>>  registry contract to the firm that offers the lowest price in a competitive
>>  procurement.  This is fine with us.  I don't think this has been done before
>>  in ICANN.

OK I misunderstood what you meant by low bid. Although I don't
believe the contract should be awarded solely on economic terms, and
I wanted to flag that even if it's awarded on totally different terms
(one of which could be an evaluation of the applicants' contact with
the non-commercial community), there still might not be a significant
surplus to speak of.