[ncdnhc-discuss] Opposing Lynn Plan

Joop Teernstra terastra at terabytz.co.nz
Sun Mar 3 08:06:09 CET 2002

At 11:04 1/03/02 -0500, Harold J. Feld wrote:
>Harold,

You said much which I agree with. As the initiator, webmaster and designer
of the www.icannatlarge.com  site, I am now caught in the middle.

I have agreed to be guided on website content by an interim  Panel  on
which of  Karl Auerbach, Esther Dyson, Bret Faucett, Jeanette Hoffman ,
Izumi Aizu and Alexander Svensson are seated. Thomas Roessler and myself
are on it de facto, but have no vote.

The way to change course of the website policy now is to ask for the
inclusion of more names in this interim Panel (personally I would not mind
Dr Ramadass and Dr Johannes Chiang, both former Asia At Large candidates)
Perhaps the Panel could be broadened to a maximum of 9.

>In this regard, I urge caution in joining the efforts of Esther Dyson and
>Pindar Wong in organizing an ALM behind the ALSC.  WhileI have no doubt
>they mean well, the viability of the at large is not the issue.

That is absolutely correct.

That is why I would ask every member of this constituency to direct the
members of their organization to the sign up section and make sure that the
numbers will swell to the point (1000) that democratic decisionmaking can
commence.
If  the interim panel can be persuaded, maybe sooner. (500?)

 From that moment on , there is no longer any dependence on or link to the
ALSC.  Even now, I can't say that the ALSC is controlling this.
The Panel has already decided to have a single list for members instead of
the separate Domain Name holders list that might be more to the ALSC '
s liking.
Further changes to the site can be effected. Post on
www.icannatlarge.com/forum/ under the thread web site wish list.

And if the Board decides to follow the Lynn plan, the website will be the
home for all those who *insist on* an AT Large . It will then become a
pressure group.

What www.icannatlarge.com is doing now is to create the means by which a
community can develop.
<snip>

>But formation of an ALM under the terms of the ALSC builds momentum behind
>the ALSC recommendations.  The ALSC recommendations also give the Internet
>community short shrift.  Again, we must avoid the trap of rushing to the
>ALSC recommendations to save us fromt he Lynn plan, or in seeing ALSC as
>an acceptable compromise.

Agree. But keep in mind that it is the members who sign up who will control
this site after the quorum is reached, not the ALSC.

It's early days for (self)organizing the At Large. But the first steps have
been taken.

--Joop