[ncdnhc-discuss] Opposing Lynn Plan

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Fri Mar 1 17:04:15 CET 2002

I urge all of those in this constituency who oppose the Lynn Plan and
the ALSC recommendations for reducing the At Large recommendation to
make their opposition known to relevant officials in their home
countries.  In particular, I would urge constituency members to contact
the their country's GAC representative and make your opposition, and
reasons for it, known.

This constituency just re-affirmed, by an overwhelming margin, its
resolution supporting the original compact under which ICANN formed, a
true partnership with the Internet community in which the Internet
community elected the majority of the Board.  As a constituency, we
should make this determination again clear tot he Board and the Names
Council.  As members of the consticuency, we should take what action we
can to support this resolution.

If the government representatives can be persuaded to reject the Lynn
plan, it cannot possibly come to pass.

At the same time, we must not fall for the trap of preferring the ALSC
recommendations as a "compromise."  This is precisely the strategy used
by those who opposed at large elections in 2000 in Cairo.  The Internet
community was forced to settle for 5 directly elected directors, rather
than the 9 promised.  Yet this was a "compromise," because the Board had
threatened to withdraw any representation.

In this regard, I urge caution in joining the efforts of Esther Dyson
and Pindar Wong in organizing an ALM behind the ALSC.  WhileI have no
doubt they mean well, the viability of the at large is not the issue.
 The issue if whether the Internet community will recieve the
representation promised at the formation of ICANN, or whether we will be
cheated and forced to settle for less. While issues regarding the
mechanics of forming an ALM exist, they are by no means insurmountable.
 More fundamentally, they have no impact on the nature of the
representation.

The 2000 election proved that members of the Internet community will
come together in large numbers to join in a fair ICANN process.  We do
not need a "proof of concept" on the At Large.

But formation of an ALM under the terms of the ALSC builds momentum
behind the ALSC recommendations.  The ALSC recommendations also give the
Internet community short shrift.  Again, we must avoid the trap of
rushing to the ALSC recommendations to save us fromt he Lynn plan, or in
seeing ALSC as an acceptable compromise.

Finally, the ncdnhc.org site remains down.  Is there any way to post a
resolution on this issue for consideration in Accra?

Harold Feld