[ncdnhc-discuss] Discussions in the NC

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Sun Mar 17 22:05:44 CET 2002

The NC will undertake consideration of the Board's resolutions in Accra
on restructuring in accordance with the request of the Board. The NC
Chair has proposed a structure for consideration within the NC, that I
expect the NC will follow (attached).

There has been a request from Marilyn Cade to include the GA President
and Deputy in the NC discussions from the beginning to facilitate
discussion with the GA, a recommendation I support.

It behooves us as a constituency to consider our responses, and to
advise those of us on NC as to the sense of the constituency. We may
also consider what formal activities (e.g. resolutions) the consticuency
may wish to undertake between now and the next Board meeting.

Harold Feld
Proposed terms of reference for DNSO response to the paper "Case for Reform"

Final output
A report listing:
§ Common points of agreement
§ Individual Constituency opinion (where it differs).
§ Consensus input from GA
Deadline May 14.

Frame work
§ Functions of ICANN, guiding principles of those functions.
§ Structure the report by subject area (see below)
§ Response to Lynn analysis and proposed solution
§ Alternative solutions

Subject areas
1. Funding
- proposal for some government funding
- proposal to continue with present funding model

2. Advisory bodies
- change from a binding consensus process to advisory stakeholder
consultation
- change of 3 Supporting Organisations to 3 Policy Councils
- merger of ASO/PSO
- separation of ccTLD and gTLD bodies
- proposed advisory committees (technical, government)
- proposed standing committees (security, root server operation)

3. Composition of managing body of the advisory bodies
- change of 21 member Names Council to 6+5 Steering Committee of new
gTLD Policy Council
- change for other SOs
- role of nomination committee

4. Stakeholder participation
- change of elected reps on NC from constituencies, to Forums with
appointed representation
- idea of additional self-appointed discussion Forums

5. Board composition
- increase/change in ability of new Board to make policy
- inclusion of chairs of advisory bodies
- inclusion of government nominees as surrogate for at-large
- change of size of board/trustees
- role of nominating committee.

6. Transparency
- ombudsman