[ncdnhc-discuss] consumer protection

James Love love at cptech.org
Sun Mar 17 16:47:00 CET 2002

I would like to find a consensus position regarding abusive practices by
registries and registrars.

In past failed resolutions, we have sought to get the NCC to support a
public comment on practices that domain name holders consider abusive.  Some
members of the NCC have suggested that this is something that is beyond the
ICANN mission, while clearly other members, including even the business
constituency, find some practices so abusive they want ICANN to address
them.

I would like more clarity about where this stands, in part because national
governments often assume ICANN is doing something about this.    Does anyone
have a useful formulation of where the ICANN mission starts or ends on
consumer protection issues?

I will note also that ICANN's senior staff and board promoted its role in
protecting domain holders from being ripped off by NetSol as one of the main
rationale's for the USG to back ICANN in the first place.

  Jamie