[ncdnhc-discuss] Emergency Resolution

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Thu Mar 7 22:53:11 CET 2002

I recognize that the time for resolutions for the Accra meeting has
closed, but the Stuart proposal warrants special concern.  I would
therefore propose the following emergency resolution for consideration
in Accra.

WHEREAS the NCDNHC has recently again reaffirmed its support for the
original ICANN commitment to nine At Large directors elected by the
Internet community as a whole;

The NCDNHC expresses grave reservations as to the plan proposed by ICANN
President Stuart Lynn on February 24, 2002.  This Plan would eliminate
any directly elected public representation.

While NCDNHC recognizes the valuable role played by governments in
representing the interests of their citizens, the Internet community has
traditionally operated through bottom-up processes that develop
consensus directly from the community, rather than the traditional
representation of government.  ICANN should continue in this tradition.
 Accordingly, ICANN should not substitute government representation for
direct representation elected by the user community.

Harold Feld